Fitting A Car Seat Should Be Easy Right However Its Important To Make Sure That Your Little Ones Car Seat Is Installed Safely And Securely So That They Are Fully Protected In The Unfortunate Event Of An Accident
Follow our easy step-by-step guide for extra peace of mind.
But firstly, a couple of important things to note:
- Before installing any car seat with a seat belt, inspect the entire length of the seatbelt and buckle for any signs of wear and tear or damage. If you find any damage, do not use this belt to attach your car seat.
- The back of the child seat needs to be in contact with at least two thirds of the vehicle seat, if its not remove the head rest.
You’re Not Following The Car Seat’s Weight And Height Guidelines
So where do you start? First, you need to pick the right car seat. How do you know whether you have the right car seat? It fits your child’s weight and length.
Hoffman said parents often miss length limits of car seats as kids usually outgrow seats by length before they outgrow them by weight. So make sure that you are looking at both measurements and that your child is within the seat’s parameters.
How Can I Tell If My Child Is Ready For A New Car Seat
According to Child Car Seats, there are a few simple yet effective checks to confirm if a child should be moved into a different seat.
When a child is ready to move from a rearward- to forward-facing child seat
If the baby is between six and 12 months old and is able to hold their head, and/or has grown to a point where their shoulders have passed the shoulder marks on the seat, then they are ready to move to a front-facing car seat.
Please note not all child car seats have these shoulder marks.
When a child is ready for a booster seat or forward-facing seat designed for older children
A child is ready to move from a rearward-facing child car seat to a forward-facing unit designed for older children when one following criterion is met:
- The childs shoulders no longer fit comfortably in the seat
- their eye level is higher than the back of the seat
- the top insertion slots for the shoulder straps are below the level of the childs shoulders, or
- their shoulder level has surpassed the seats shoulder marks.
When is my child ready to use a normal seatbelt?
A child is ready to use a normal seatbelt if they are seven years of age and 145cm tall, and at least one following criterion has been met:
- The childs shoulders no longer fit comfortably in a booster seat
- their eye level is higher than the back of the booster seat, or
- their shoulder level has surpassed the seats shoulder marks.
Recommended Reading: Where Is The Car Show This Weekend
Installing The Infant Seat In Your Car
Before you install your child in the car seat, you need to securely install the seat in your car. Its only when the seat is safely secured that you can place your baby in the seat .
Well first look at what is the best place to install an infant seat in your car. Well then show you exactly how to securely install a seat with a base and without a base.
Use The Seat Belt Or Latch
There are two ways to secure a car seat in a vehicle.
- One way is to use the vehicle seat belt. Place the seat belt through the car seat at the belt path. Arrows on the car seat or directions on the car seat label will show you the correct belt path to use. On all forward-facing car seats, use a top tether when securing the car seat.
- Another way is to use lower anchors and tethers for children to attach the car seat to the vehicle. Car seats have lower attachments that connect to the cars lower anchors. On all forward-facing car seats, use a top tether when securing the car seat.
The seat belt and LATCH are both safe, but dont use both at the same time. Choose the one that gives the car seat a snug fit. The next tip shows you how to get that snug fit.
Read Also: How Much Is A Car Lift
How To Install A Car Seat Properly With Childs Safety Tips
Disclaimer: GloboAutomotives is supported by readers like you. That means we might make money when you click on one of our recommendations.
When you have finished selecting the right car seat, it will be time to install your seat. You may know most of the parents make mistakes in this regard because they dont know how to install a car seat properly. But they want to install it in the right way so that he/she and his/her family are as safe as possible.
Besides, most parents are concerned about their childrens safety, so they leave it up to their drivers to install it as the drivers are not experts, so they rely on the car seats to keep children safe. However, according to some experts, about 15% of car seats are properly installed.
At the time of installation, you have to make sure that your seat is rear-facing or front. Then there are the specific rules and recommendations for different car seats that need to be kept in mind as this is a confusing issue. But you should follow the manufacturers instructions when installing the car seat.
Find The Anchors In Your Car
The metal anchors used to secure the car seat base are incredibly easy to find, and always marked with this little plastic tab. The anchors are found directly below this tab sometimes they are easily visible, and sometimes theyre a little more hidden in the seat .
A close up of the anchor. The latch goes right over that bar and securely hooks in.
Those marks and indentations? The marks of parenthood . They arent going away anytime soon, FYI. Nowadays, you can buy special pads that will theoretically protect against that.
Each back seat in a car will have two of these anchors one for each side of the car seat base already installed. Again, thats any car made after September 1, 2002.
You May Like: How To Keep Cats Off My Car
The Ultimate Guide To Properly Installing Your Child’s Car Seat
NHTSA says 46% of car seats are installed incorrectly. Ensuring your kid’s car seat is correctly installed is crucial for their safety.
Sean Jackson is a creative copywriter living in Florida. He’s had work published with Realtor.com, theScore, ESPN, and the San Francisco Chronicle. In his free time, Sean likes to play drums, fail miserably at improv and spend time at the beach.
Car seats are vital to protecting your children if a car accident happens. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention note kids buckled into car seats were 71% to 82% less likely to incur an injury during an accident compared to those wearing only seat belts.
Of the 91,000 children who died from fatal car accidents in 2019, 38% were not wearing the proper restraints. Ensuring your child has the correct car seat for their age and size could be a life-saving measure. Car seats are also a legal requirement in most states.
Our guide helps you learn how to properly install a car seat.
Read more: Best Car Seats for 2022
Baby Car Seat Installation: How To Install A Car Seat
Headed to the hospital to meet baby for the first time? Did you know you need a baby car seat installed beforehand? Heres all you need to know.
As a first-time mom or mom-to-be, your head is probably spinning.
There are so many things to do to prepare for your new baby
From making sure youre well-stocked on diapers, washing all the clothes from your baby shower, sterilizing bottles or your breast pump, setting up the nursery, and so much more, it seems like a never-ending list.
But theres something that you definitely cant skip if you have a car: safe newborn car seat installation should be a top-of-list priority.
Content warning: Well be discussing some hard-to-read topics like crashes and baby injury here, just so youre aware.
In this article:
- Why is a baby car seat so important?
- How do baby car seats attach?
- How do you install a babys first car seat?
- When should you install car seat before baby?
- What is the safest place to install an infant car seat?
- Whats the best baby car seat?
- Finding a certified child passenger safety technician
- Do local fire departments install car seats?
- Is your newborn in car seat correctly?
You May Like: How To Remove Snow From Car
Get Help From The Experts
If you’re not sure if your car seat is installed correctly, have it inspected. Find a certified CPS technician or visit an inspection station and a certified technician will inspect your child safety seat and show you how to correctly install and use it. Alternatively, you can call 1-877-330-BUCKL for personal assistance.
How To Install An Infant Or Toddler Car Seat
The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that 46% of car seats are used incorrectly. If you’re unsure you’ve installed your car seat correctly, or just want to make absolutely sure, you can get a free inspection from a trained professional at a police department, fire department, hospital, car dealership or many other municipal facilities. Just put your ZIP code into NHTSA’s website here for a list of local options.
If this is your first time installing a car seat, here are some simple tips you can follow to ensure your child has the proper protection.
1. Start by placing the base on the seat. Many car seats come with angle adjusters. Adjust it to read between 30 and 45 degrees.
2. Next, run the seat belt through the seat belt path. The car seat will have arrows indicating where this is. You want to make sure the belt buckles, then you pull the shoulder portion of the belt while holding the base down with your hand to tighten it. It prevents the car seat from moving around during transport. You also want to check the tightness of the belt, as it should be one inch or less from the belt path. Recheck the angle indicators to verify they remain between 30 and 45 degrees.
Also Check: Why Should I Get An Electric Car
Installing Your Car Seat Or Booster Seat Safely
No matter what type of car or booster seat you have, installing a car seat will always involve certain standard guidelines. These steps will ensure a secure car seat installation.
Keeping your child safe whether youre on the road or at home is a top priority. Be sure to save this child safety seat how-to, and bookmark family safety resources, to make sure youre prepared for safety in every situation. We also have helpful guides to choosing a reliable car seat or booster seat, so read through that to ensure you find a safe seat for your little one
You Feel Like A Complete Failure
Last, but most importantly, stop shaming yourself, Hoffman emphasized: “Car seats are awesome and they work and they safe lives. They’re also hard. Using something is great.”
“Families shouldnt feel like they have to be able to do it perfectly … reaching out and getting help is brilliant,” he said.
Is Your Newborn In Car Seat Correctly
Before beginning to secure your newborn in their car seat, youll want to make sure theyre not wearing anything too bulky.
Padded coats can prevent you from getting a tight enough fit with the straps, which could stop the seat from being able to do its job correctly in the event of a crash.
Here are some general steps to follow when securing your newborn into their car seat before heading home.
Again, it will be important to consult with the manual for their car seat to make sure there are no special instructions to follow specific to their car seat.
Your babys car seats job is to protect them in the event of an accident.
Parents Are Too Quick To Transition
Milestones are exciting. She’s crawling! He’s walking!
But when it comes to car seats, “Don’t be in a hurry,” Hoffman said.
In general, the car seat transition goes like this: Ride in a rear-facing infant seat, then move to forward-facing convertible seat, next to a booster seat and finally to regular a seat belt. Make these transitions slowly.
“The one basic overarching principle is to delay transitions as long as possible because as you move from one stage to the other, you lose some relative protection,” Hoffman said.
Don’t Miss: What Credit Bureau Does Car Dealers Use
Your Child Is Wearing A Heavy Coat In His Car Seat
Lack of tightness can also be a problem when securing the harness. That’s why it is recommended children don’t wear thick winter coats underneath the straps.
“What a big, bulky coat does is introduce slack and space,” Hoffman explained. If that were to all compress in a crash, “a child can slam into the harness and that can increase the risk for injury.”
If you pinch the harness straps over the shoulders once the child is buckled in, you shouldn’t be able to pinch any webbing between your fingers.
To keep children warm, place a coat or blanket over the secured harness.
A few other things to keep in mind when buckling up:
- The chest clip should be at armpit level.
- In rear-facing seats, the shoulder straps should be in the slots at or below the child’s shoulders.
- In forward-facing seats, they should be at or above the childs shoulders.
Children Are Flexible What Seems Cramped To You Is Not Necessarily Uncomfortable For A Toddler
Since kids’ bones and joints aren’t fully developed yet, they’re much more flexible than adults. Even though riding rear-facing longer may require them to cross or prop up their legs, these seating positions are no big deal to a flexible toddler and allow for crucial protection of the head, neck and spine.2
When rear-facing, a child’s head, neck and spine are all supported by the car seat during an accident.
Also Check: What Is The Invoice Price Of A Car
When Should You Install Car Seat Before Baby
Its a good idea to install your newborn car seat before baby arrives, so youre ready to go when they make their grand entrance into the world.
If baby arrives any earlier than that, theres a chance they may have to spend some time in NICU, so youll have a chance to install your newborn car seat before they come home.
Which Type Of Dog Seat Belt Is Best
There are several dog car seat belt types. The most common are the harnesses, but there are also other types, such as the safety belt extenders or the car safety harness. Here is a detailed look.
- Dog Seat Belt Harness. A seat belt is an excellent option for small to medium-sized dogs who like to jump. It makes attaching your pup to a car seatbelt much easier. They are similar to human safety belts but feature an adjustable strap system to perfectly fit your dogs collar. They can also be used as a walking harness during a stroll.
- Seat Belt Extenders. If you have an older model car with a short middle seat belt, you may need a seat belt extender to help fit your dog into the back seat. These extenders can be secured to the existing seatbelt, so your pup doesnt have to share with other passengers.
- Car Safety Harnesses. If you dont want your large breed dog bouncing around in the backseat while driving, consider investing in a dog car harness. This will help keep them safely secured while traveling at high speeds. This way, if you have an accident, it will not be able to fly out of its seat and hit the airbag. They are often subjected to crash tests by the center for pet safety for credibility.
Read Also: Does Uber Have Car Seats
Car Seat Installation Experts
We want you to feel confident in every car journey, knowing that your car seat is installed properly. Our certified child passenger safety technicians are here to support you. Book your free, 30-minute live video installation today from the comfort of your home.
See below for a list of our most frequently asked questions. If the answer to your question isnt here and you need further assistance, please contact our customer support team, wed be happy to help.