West Virginia Free Car Seat Program
The WV programs for children’s safety on roads are available through many organizations. One such is DMV- Division of Motor Vehicles, which offers professional sessions with parents and teaches them to keep the children safe and healthy. They also provide free car seats for struggling families, and you can call -926-2509 to inquire for places. Another one is humanitarian, called Gabriel Project. You can donate or receive children’s necessities – diapers, wipes, food, clothes, toys, etc. Please, can you call them and ask for free seats as well. The number is -205-5865.
Other Things To Keep In Mind
Just because youre getting a free car seat doesnt mean you shouldnt get good quality. There are a few key factors you should definitely keep in mind when you get your seat:
- Where you got it from: Did you get it from a reputable organization or from a friend? Most organizations that give away car seats will give you a brand new one, but the quality may be less if it isnt new.
- Overall quality: If the seat looks in pretty rough shape, obviously you will want to skip over it. A car seat may look nice on the surface, but its worth checking inside to make sure there isnt any damage. Make sure to do a full inspection before putting it to use.
Alabama Free Car Seats
- Children’s of Alabama Free seats are only available for patients that don’t have a carseat when discharged. Before getting the seat, families must first watch a short video about how to use it.
- Huntsville Hospital AL-Madison County, program for those on food stamps, Medicaid, or WIC. Dial 256-265-7296
- Committee on Church Cooperation – Call 355-8893
- Broad Street Church of Christ- Call 256-574-2489
You May Like: What Credit Score Does Car Dealerships Use
Rhode Island Free Car Seat Program
Seats 4 Safety program run by Injury Prevention Center at Hasbro Children Hospital, in collaboration with the Department of Transportation in Rhode Island provides free educational courses on how to install car seats for your children safely, and how to protect them while in cars adequately. The other benefit of the agency is the possibility of providing multiple car seats without costs for families with financial difficulties. To enter the program, you need a proper qualification.Therefore, to find out all you should know about entering the program, you can contact an authorized safety technician, make an appointment, and learn more. Hence, call -444-3500.
Free Car From Uber Or Lyft
There is this myth out there that ride sharing companies like Uber and Lyft give out free cars to drivers.
Thats not true at all!
However, if you want to drive for the company, they let you rent a car from them so you can drive and make money, which is not a bad deal if you dont have a car and want to make some money. Uber drivers make good money. So do people who drive for Lyft.
Needless to say, they each have their own rules and requirements.
You can find out more about their car rental programs by following the links below:
Recommended Reading: How To Test A Car Amp In The House
Child Safety Seat Program At Chop
The Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia offers child car seats at no cost through its Child Safety Seat Program at CHOP. Anyone who cannot afford to buy a child safety seat can be referred to this program by a healthcare provider. To be eligible, you must be currently receiving public assistance and have a green EBT Access card.
Lets Start With Where Not To Get A Free Car Seat
Car seats are designed to keep your child safe while in the car. Thats why its so important for you to get a car seat from a trusted organization and to know the history of the car seat, if it is indeed one thats used or donated.
It might be tempting to buy a used car seat on a platform like eBay, but you dont know the history of the seat youre buying.
The seat may have degraded and be unsafe to use, or the seat may have been involved in a crash.
So we DO NOT recommend that you buy a car seat on a platform like Craigslist or eBay, or at places like garage sales, thrift sores and consignment stores.
Don’t Miss: Get My Title Florida
Maine Bureau Of Highway Safety Department Of Public Safety
- Official website:
The Bureau of Highway Safety has partner locations in Maine where income eligible families can make an appointment with a certified car seat technician and get a free car seat. You can find your nearest distribution location by visiting the page that we linked to above.
Heres How Parents Can Get Free Car Seats For Their Children
Car Seats are expensive. I said what I said.
Unless you are able to hold out until baby items go on clearance, buying a car seat is definitely one of those big ticket items.
With that being said, not all parents are able to afford car seats especially high-quality car seats without breaking the bank.
Thankfully, there are programs that provide free and reduced-priced car seats to families in need!
Recommended Reading: How Car Salesmen Make Money
Louisiana Free Car Seats
- In Louisiana, Child Passenger Safety Fitting Stations may be found statewide with over 500 nationally certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians available to make sure your child’s safety seats are installed properly. Proper use and proper installation of child safety seats could be the difference between life and death in the event of a crash.
- Law firm giving away car seats for families in need – https://www.arklatexhomepage.com/news/louisiana-news/law-firm-giving-away-100-car-seats-to-families-in-need/
Nebraska Free Car Seats
Training and educational material provided by Children’s Hospital & Medical Center but they are not currently providing a free car seat. In such a case, you are encouraged to contact the injury prevention team at .
CollaboratIon the always dependable safe kids have collaborated with non-profit childhood injury prevention organization in Hastings, Nebraska. They provide education to families on how to use car seats without any cost. They also have free car seats available but you have to be registered with WIC, Medicaid or Kids Connection. You can call them at 402-460-5884 for more information.
Car seats available from three river’s public health at no cost for families that are in need and low-income. They will also help you with the installation of the car seat. Its a great place get the car seat installed because the technician is performing the role of an educator and you will be the one installing the car seats.
Don’t Miss: How Much Horsepower Does The Average Car Have
Do Hospitals Still Give Out Car Seats
Every hospital is different, and some hospitals might provide a car seat, but its very, very rare, explains Lorrie Walker, Training Manager and Technical Advisor of Child Passenger Safety at Safe Kids Worldwide, in an interview with Romper. So this is a myth that if you just go to the hospital, theyll have seats.
During The Car Seat Checkup
- Ask to see proof of your technicians current certification.
- This one-on-one education typically takes 20-30 minutes, depending on your car seat and vehicle. The technician will take all the time you need until you feel comfortable that your car seat is used and installed correctly.
- During the checkup, a CPS Technician will:
- Fill out a car seat check form to document the process . The form may be electronic or on paper.
- Review car seat selection appropriate for your childs age, weight and height as well as review factors affectiproper use.
- Review the car seat instruction manual and the vehicle owners manual to ensure that both are being followed correctly.
- Ensure that an appropriate seating position in the vehicle is being used.
- Check the car seat for recalls, visible damage and an expiration date.
- Guide your installation of the car seat. You are encouraged to ask to learn how to install the car seat in different seating positions with different installation techniques.
- Discuss the next steps for your child, such as when to move to the next type of car seat.
- Discuss your state laws and best practice recommendations for occupant safety.
- Discuss the benefits of everyone riding properly restrained, including all adults.
- Discuss safety in and around the vehicle.
- Answer any questions you may have, so ask away.
Read Also: Who Owns Avis Car Rental
Virginia Department Of Health
- Official website:
The Virginia Department of Health provides free child safety seats and booster seats to income eligible children. Parents, legal guardians, and foster parents of children who live in Virginia can apply.
South Dakota Free Car Seat Program
In this state, there is an organization called DSS – S.D. Foundation of Strong Families and they have the safety children passengers programs. The reason for their existence is the S.D. law, which indicates that parents must properly fasten children’s seat belts and keep them safe while on roads. Therefore, the agency offers free courses with S.T./instructors where parents can educate how to set up the seats and follow the procedures supervised by the representatives. Furthermore, the eligible parents/families in need will have the chance to obtain the car seats they need. If you request more information on how to participate in the program, and how to get car seats, please call -773-3165.There’s another program in the Southeast Region of S.D., which also provides car seats for lower-income parents and offers free educational sessions and training with authorized instructors/S.T. But if you need more data on how to partake, you can -312-8390.
Also Check: 300 Amp Alternator Car Audio
Minnesota Free Car Seats
Car Accidents is and will remain a Top Child Killer Belts and car seats will always provide reliable solutions. If you are in need of a free car seat and you live in Minnesota, you can use this directory by Office of Traffic Safety to find out who has free car seats available and exactly whom to contact in your area.
Everyday Miracles is a great resource to get a car seat for free if you are on a shoestring budget. Having a government-funded program through Health Partners, Blue Plus, or UCare makes you eligible for a free car seat and you can request that through this link.
SEATS by UCare, car seat program by Baby Blanket, and car seat program by the Vadnais Heights fire department are some other examples of great resources you can use to get a free car seat for your kids. Having these awesome options means you have no excuse but to get a car seat for your kid and make sure of their safety. Please refer to the individual programs for contact information and eligibility criteria.
You can also get a free car seat from Wakota Life Care Center. To become eligible for a free car seat, you need to attend 2 classes, and the car seat safety seminar.
Mille Lacs County also has a car seat program where you can get free car seats. Please contact Nikki Herr at or 983-8208.
Meeker County Public Health offers free child passenger safety checks for pregnant women, or families and caregivers with children of all ages. Call MCPH at 320-693-5370.
Reduced Cost Car Seats Available For Qualifying Families
University Hospitals Rainbow Babies & Childrens Hospital Injury Prevention Center is dedicated to protecting child passengers throughout Northeast Ohio by aiding parents and caregivers in making important decisions about how best to restrain their child passengers, providing assistance with properly using and installing car seats, and working to ensure that all families regardless of their financial circumstances have access to the resources they need to help their children travel safely.
The Rainbow Injury Prevention Center is able to assist low income families by providing car seats at a cost significantly discounted from retail prices, together with education in installing and using the seats. Proof of government assistance is required.
Call the Rainbow Car Seat Hotline at to receive registration information.
Additionally, UH Rainbow Babies & Childrens Hospital serves as the regional coordinator for the Ohio Buckles Buckeyes program. Periodically throughout the year, the hospital receives free seats from the Ohio Department of Health that are distributed on a first come-first served basis to program participants. For more information on the Ohio Buckles Buckeyes program, visit .
Contact information for local coordinators for the OBB programs in our region is listed below:
Recommended Reading: Transport Puppy In Car
Check The Car Seat With The Airline
If you want to bring your own car seat, the best option is to check it with the airline. However, be careful of airlines that charge fees for luggage. Luckily, most airlines waive fees for car seats and strollers, but check with your preferred airline BEFORE booking your flight! Thats one of the reasons why my preferred airline is Southwest. You can check two bags per person without any fees .
If your airline does charge for checked bags, consider getting the airlines co-branded credit card that will waive fees for checked bags. My approach is that, if you need to check one bag, might as well save yourself the hassle of carry-on luggage and check them all. Youre going to be waiting around baggage claim anyway.
You dont want to have to lug around a car seat, right? So, do what we do when we bring a car seat. Get a rolling car seat bag that is ideal for carrying not only your car seat, but also diapers, wipes, and a bag full of dirty kids clothes .
This bag has shoulder straps to easily carry it while keeping your hands free, you can pull the handle like you would a rolling suitcase, or you can attach it to your suitcase and roll it around. Super simple and convenient.
Where To Get A Free Car Seat
Generally, I recommend reaching out first to your WIC, Medicaid, or Food Stamp offices for information about where you can get a free car seat in your area.
RELATED: Where and How to Get Free Breastfeeding Supplies
If you are not on one of these programs, as you dont qualify as a low-income family, you can also reach out to your childs pediatrician or family doctor for recommendations on where to get a free car seat.
You can also ask if your health insurance offers free or reduced car seats as part of your insurance plan.
You can also reach out to your local church or even local food pantries and ask if they also have car seats available to those in need.
You can also call your local fire departments or police departments for information about acquiring car seats. They should hopefully be able to point you in the right direction.
If you still dont have a car seat by the time you deliver your child, be sure to let the hospital know you need one. Chances are they will have some available, as you are not allowed to leave the hospital without a proper car seat.
RELATED:Where to Get Free Maternity Clothes
The car seats you receive may not be the top-of-the-line car seats, but they should all be new and meet the federal safety standards.
Also, if you are not low-income or part of a qualifying program, sometimes they will have car seats for you at a steep discount, like only $25, regardless of your income status.
You May Like: Commission For Car Salesman
Before The Car Seat Checkup
- Be prepared to learn, not just watch the CPS technician install the car seat. They’re trained to teach you.
- Know your child’s current weight and height.
- Using the car seat instruction manual and the vehicle owners manual, try to install the car seat into your vehicle prior to your appointment
- Tip! Check the index of your vehicle owners manual for child safety seats.
- Be sure to bring the car seat instruction manual AND the vehicle owners manual with you to your appointment.
- If possible, bring your child with you as well as another caregiver to help while you are learning.
- Be prepared to learn. The CPS Technician is trained to educate you to install and use your car seat properly in your vehicle
Diono 2020 Radian 3qx 4
Why its great: If you have twins and you want a car seat that will last for the next ten years, this is the one for you! Its slim design makes it possible to fit 3 in a row if needed! Two shouldnt be a problem at all for your twins. It also has safe+ technology, which means it has a wedge to get the right position for newborns, a 2-in-1 infant positioning liner, a steel anti-rebound bar, and side-impact protection. Its passed the most rigorous testing for safety. Its also been created to use rear-facing up to 50 lbs, so your babies can stay rear-facing as long as possible. After that, it converts to front-facing with the harness and then to a high back booster, which means youll be able to use this one seat for all stages.
Keep in mind: This is another car seat thats not portable, so youll have to put your baby in and take them out when you go anywhere.
Good for: Parents that want a high quality seat.
Also Check: How To Make Freshies For Car