Replacing Your Licence Plates
Your licence plate can be replaced at any MTO office. A valid drivers license, registration and identification number of the applicant must be provided. Here are a couple reasons why you might need to replace your licence plate:
- Your vehicle plates get stolen
- Your licence plates get damaged
- Your plates are worn out
- You want to change your plate number
- You want a custom licence plate
How To Transfer Transfer Your Registration To A Vehicle Or Trailer Purchased From A Dealer
If there is a lien against the vehicle, please make sure the lienholder information is complete and accurate.
The completed application must be accompanied by one of the following documents:
- A manufacturers Certificate of Origin , or
- The previous owners Certificate of Title, Dealer Re-Assignment form if applicable, or
- The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of their age
4. If presenting the Certificate of Origin or the previous owner’s title, be sure the date sold, the odometer reading and the purchase price have been completed on the back. The dealer or the previous owner and you must sign the back of either of these forms.
5. You must make a reservation for this transaction at one of our open Service Centers. Customers are strongly encouraged to go online to schedule available in-person appointments at statewide Service Centers. Customers can conduct walk-in transactions during early morning or late afternoon hours, but will be served after customers with prescheduled in-person appointments.
- To make a reservation, click here.
Individual registration drop-off services, which temporarily replaced B2B services during the State of Emergency, will no longer be available at RMV Service Centers.
Just Bought A Vehicle
For a vehicle that has just been purchased, you must submit the following to your local DMV office.
Make a statement in the affidavit section that you wish to transfer your plate, and specify the complete, correct plate number.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does A Car Salesman Make On A Sale
How To Transfer A License Plate
This article was co-authored by wikiHow Staff. Our trained team of editors and researchers validate articles for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow’s Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. This article has been viewed 77,539 times.Learn more…
If youre planning to sell an older vehicle and replace it with a new one, you can transfer the license plates to your new vehicle. To do this, both vehicles must be registered in your name and both must have the same registration code. Under certain circumstances, you can also transfer the license plates to the individual youre selling the vehicle to. While the process for transferring plates from one vehicle to another can vary widely from one U.S. state to another, there are several basic steps that you can follow regardless of where you live.
How To Register Your Vehicle
To register a vehicle and get a permit and licence plate, you need:
- your drivers licence or your registrant identification number , if you do not have a drivers licence
- the completed used vehicle information package
- proof of purchase
- proof of insurance from an insurance provider licensed in Ontario
- the original vehicle permit from seller with completed transfer portion
- the plate portion of the permit, if you already have a licence plate you would like to attach to the vehicle
To get a licence plate sticker, you will need a:
Read Also: Do Car Salesman Make Good Money
Both Vehicles In My Name
When both vehicles are in your name, you can complete the transfer through the mail.
Make a statement in the comments section that you wish to transfer your plate, and specify the complete, correct plate number.
Mail requests to:
What Do You Do With Your Old License Plates
Find out if youre overpaying on car insurance using our cost calculator! Save money by comparing quotes from over 30 of Canadas top insurance providers!
The best part? Its FREE!
In Ontario, license plates are legally required for every registered vehicle. Getting new license plates is something that many people have to go through in their lifetime.
But what do you do with your old ones? Can you sell them? These are all common questions people ask themselves when they need a new set of plates.
In this blog post, we will answer these questions and provide information on what to do with outdated license plates.
Also Check: How To Cancel Car Insurance Geico
Transfer Of Licence Plates
Moving licence plates from one vehicle to another is not just a simple matter of being able to use a screwdriver. Many people run into trouble when they try to move their plates to a substitute vehicle and don’t do it properly. Of course, this could look like small change in retrospect if that person were to cause a collision before being discovered by police.
You Own Both Vehicles
The first item on the list to check is whether the replacement vehicle is already registered in your name in British Columbia. If you answer yes to this one, you must do all the paperwork and then move the licence plates to the replacement vehicle. 10 days grace does not apply.
You Are Buying a New Vehicle
Next, do you have a fully completed transfer paper showing that the vehicle the licence plates are coming from has been sold or otherwise disposed of? If not, you must visit your Autoplan Agent first, and then move the licence plates to the replacement vehicle.
Matching Rate Classes
Is the replacement vehicle in the same ICBC rate class as the original vehicle? The rate classes are:
- Trailer licensed under the Motor Vehicle Act
- Motor vehicle or trailer licensed under the Commercial Transport Act
If the vehicles are not in the same rate class the paperwork must be done and then the licence plates moved to the new vehicle.
Paperwork Must Be Complete
ALL Done? Move the Plates
The Risk of Shortcuts
Schedule License Plate Light Replacement
The most popular service booked by readers of this article is License Plate Light Replacement. YourMechanics technicians bring the dealership to you by performing this job at your home or office 7-days a week between 7AM-9PM. We currently cover over 2,000 cities and have 100k+ 5-star reviews… LEARN MORE
Also Check: How To Get Scuff Marks Off Car Interior
About The License Plate Reissue Program
Colorado’s license plate reissue program, implemented in January 2022, aims to improve safety for first responders and motorists by ensuring drivers have reflective and legible license plates.
Under the new program, the process for transferring license plates has changed. License plates for Class C motor vehicles will now expire upon transfer of the owners title or interest in the vehicle. Tax Class C motor vehicles include passenger vehicles, motorhomes, and motorcycles. However, the owner will retain the priority right to use the same combination of letters or numbers from the expired plates when registering a new vehicle. To do so, the owner must apply for personalized plates, at an additional cost after returning the license plates. The old plates will no longer be valid for use. License plates will then be printed and mailed to the vehicle owner like newly issued license plates.
The license plate reissue program enhances public safety by ensuring registered vehicles in Colorado have serviceable license plates that are reflective and visible in low-light environments by removing older plates from circulation, which allows first responders to more easily identify license plates. Additionally, motorists benefit from the program since license plates are often the only highly reflective element on vehicles, which is critically important for motorists to see if a vehicle is stalled on the roadside during low-light periods.
Transfer A License Plate
If you are completing any of the above transactions , you may also transfer a license plate from a vehicle that you own or have sold/disposed of to a different vehicle that you own or have newly acquired/purchased. Only the following license plates may be transferred online at mybmv.com: Passenger, Truck , Motorcycle, and In God We Trust, but please be advised that there may be specific scenarios where you cannot transfer online and must visit a branch to transfer your plate.
Also Check: 888-601-6302
Three Year Trailer Registration
Recreational and utility trailers can be registered for either one year or three years at a time.
- You will be issued a three-year decal.
- Registration credits can be applied.
- County-issued tax exemptions can be applied to the first year’s fees only. Exemptions issued in the second and third years cannot be applied retroactively or refunded.
- Three-year registrations are available at original registration and at renewals including online and kiosks.
Visit Online Fee Estimates to compare one-year and three-year fees.
License Plate Lookups In Ohio
In Ohio, it is illegal to get license plate lookups on anyone other than yourself. If you wish to obtain a copy of your BMV license plate history or driving record, you may contact the BMV to receive a free 2-year copy, or you may purchase a 3-year copy. Furthermore, OH BMV driving records are also available through the states official online portal.
Read Also: How Much Do Car Salesman Make Per Sale
Transferring Your Licence Plates To A New Vehicle
Its important to know when and where you can use your license plate. If the original car is sold or no longer going to be used by the owner, then plates must physically removed from the vehicle and kept in possession of its owners. When purchasing a new car, its possible that an individual has access to their old license plate but they need register ownership with the MTO before applying for tags on this newly purchased automobile. They are required to have proof of purchase upon registering the new vehicle as well as proof showing that he was previously registered under another name-plate number. There is a section on your vehicle permit for plate ownership.
S For Transferring License Plates To Another Car:
If transferring license plates is not an option in your state – if your license plate has been lost or stolen, for example – you will need to get new plates altogether. Make sure that you’re not breaking any laws if you decide to do this by checking with your DMV office first.
You May Like: How Much To Register A Car In Ca
Sign On The Dotted Line And Install Your Plates
You should hope for everything to go smoothly and get through the assessment without a hitch. If that happens, the next thing to do is pay the necessary fees. After that, sign on the dotted line of your new registration, then install the new plates on your new car.
Depending on the regulations of your local DMV, you can choose to surrender or keep the old license plates. They work quite nicely as decorations for your garage or man cave if you have one.
When removing your old license plates, the screws may not come off no matter how many times you turn them. This might be because of the security screws used in fastening the plates. These screws can only go one way and are almost impossible to remove, at least in one piece.
With that said, you can use a drill to drill out the old screw carefully. You can learn more about the right license plate screw size here. To learn more about finding a license plate number by VIN, see here: Find License Plate Number.
Specialty Plates With The Same Design
These are specially designed plates that feature a background honoring a specific group or organization. Specific eligibility requirements must be met to be issued. Fees listed are in addition to the standard registration fees based on the age, taxable value and weight of your vehicle.
Replace Specialty Plate with a Specialty Plate of the same design that has a new license plate number:
- Cost to issue – $8.06
- Renewal – No new fee
Replace Specialty Plate with a Personalized Specialty Plate of the same design and with a new plate number of your choice when approved :
- Cost to issue – $68.06
- Renewal – $25 personalized renewal fee
Replace Specialty Plate with a Personalized Specialty Plate of the same design that has your plates current license plate number :
- Cost to issue – $68.06
Read Also: Carvana Car Lease
Please See The Steps Below For How To Complete The Complete The Customer Request To Cancel Vehicle Registration
There is two ways in Ohio to notify the BMV that you have donated your car: in person and by mail. Currently, there is no option available online. You can find more information and forms for each notification method below:
1. TO COMPLETE THE CUSTOMER REQUEST TO CANCEL VEHICLE REGISTRATION FORM IN PERSON:
- Please print and complete the Customer Request to Cancel Vehicle Registration Form.
- Submit to your local BMV field office. Click HERE to find the BMV location closest to you.
2. TO COMPLETE THE CUSTOMER REQUEST TO CANCEL VEHICLE REGISTRATION FORM BY MAIL:
- Please print and complete the Customer Request to Cancel Vehicle Registration.
- Mail completed form to:
Haven’t donated yet? We can help you find a fantastic Ohio nonprofit to donate to.
Types Of License Plates In Ohio
Motorists who wish to obtain new registration plates in Ohio can choose from a variety of plates to meet their individual needs or interests. For instance, common types of OH license plates include:
- Standard BMV license plate: Standard car tags appear on the majority of vehicles in the state, and feature a simple red, white and blue design.
- Specialized interest plates: As the name implies, these BMV car tags support a special interest group or bear special character combinations requested by a car owner. Moreover, disability plates are considered part of this category in Ohio, but are only issued to motorists who qualify.
- Initial reserve plates: These car registration plates include certain specific letter combinations, which are arranged in a particular sequence that is established by the state.
- Personalized plates: Vehicle owners may opt for spelling out certain words or phrases that use between four and eight characters. However, these character variations may not spell anything that is deemed profane.
Furthermore, if you bought your vehicle from a dealership, it may bear temporary new registration plates for a few weeks. Dealers are permitted to issue temporary tags that provide you up to 45 days of legal driving. This is done in order to allow time for your permanent BMV license plate to arrive in the mail.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Car Air Freshies
How To Apply For A License Plate In Ohio
Ohio car registration plates are easily obtained by visiting a local licensing agency and applying for them in person. Beforehand, make sure to gather all of the required documents for this procedure, such as your car title, a signed financial responsibility statement and your OH drivers license or Social Security card.
Furthermore, if you live in Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain, Medina, Portage or Summit counties and have a vehicle up to 25 years old, you must have it inspected with the BMV as part of the registration process. Moreover, BMV license plate applicants in these counties may request a multi-year registration period between two and five years, if desired.