Register An Indiana Vehicle Online
Once your title transfer process is complete, the BMV will have the vehicle information on file and you will be able to register your vehicle online, as long as you register within 60 days of acquiring the vehicle* or moving to Indiana.
To register your vehicle online:
- Your drivers license number.
- Smog certification information .
*You will be charged a late fee if you register the vehicle after 45 days.
Check Your Vehicle Identification Number Before You Renew
You will need to correct your vehicle identification number before you can renew your licence plate online.
If the vehicle identification number on your dashboard and vehicle permit does not match, you will need to visit ServiceOntario to correct it. You will need to bring the following documents:
- the vehicle permit the vehicle portion of the permit is required
- your Canada Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card
- one of the following documents:
- original vehicle manufacturers warranty
- copy of manufacturers invoice
- original or copy of the bill/certificate of sale from the original selling dealer
- letter from an authorized dealer for your make of vehicle verifying the correct vehicle identification number of the vehicle
- copy of certificate of title/certificate of origin
- copy of new vehicle information statement .
- original safety standards certificate, form SR-E-214, only if the last 6 characters of the vehicle identification number are correct
- sworn affidavit by the vehicle owner explaining the vehicle identification number error
If you do not have insurance, you must get it from an insurance provider licensed to do business in Ontario. Proof of insurance is required to renew your licence plate.
Transfer A License Plate
If you are completing any of the above transactions , you may also transfer a license plate from a vehicle that you own or have sold/disposed of to a different vehicle that you own or have newly acquired/purchased. Only the following license plates may be transferred online at mybmv.com: Passenger, Truck , Motorcycle, and In God We Trust, but please be advised that there may be specific scenarios where you cannot transfer online and must visit a branch to transfer your plate.
Recommended Reading: Sell Lease To Carvana
How To Renew Your Indiana Car Registration
Youll need to renew your car registration before it expires to avoid any late penalty fees, tickets for operating an unlicensed vehicle, or possible vehicle impoundment.
Renewing your registration will get you new sticker tags for your license plates with the updated year.
In Indiana, you must renew your registration every year. Your renewal date will always be the same.
You should receive a renewal notice with instructions prior to the expiration deadline.
In Indiana, youll have the option of renewing your registration:
How To Buy A Car As A Gift In Indiana
bringing them with you to the dealership. there are no liens on the vehiclemake them part of the car-buying process
Key Takeaway In order to transfer a vehicle as a gift, youâll need the title in hand. Because of this, bringing the recipient along to the dealership is a great idea.
Read Also: Car Rental 8 Reviews
Duplicate And Replacement Registration
A duplicate registration is needed when you require a new license plate, sticker, or registration document due to being lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed.
If the license plate was mailed by the BMV and you never received it, please call the Contact Center at or visit your local BMV branch.
- Duplicate License Plate:
- You must visit a branch to obtain a duplicate plate. You will receive the same plate number and same plate type if a replacement/duplicate plate is needed.
- Duplicate Motor Vehicle Registration Document: used when you require a duplicate registration document due to damage or loss.
- You may print a duplicate registration through myBMV.com at no cost. State Form 37135 – Application for Replacement or Duplicate License Plate is not required to be submitted for a duplicate motor vehicle registration.
Renewing Your Registration In Indiana
In Indiana, you can renew your vehicle registration online, in person, by phone or . You may not renew online if your vehicle weighs over 26,000 pounds.
Importantly, you must register your vehicle on or before the registrations scheduled expiration date in order to avoid a $15 administrative penalty.
- The Indiana BMV emails or texts your renewal notices60 days, 30 days, and 7 days prior to your registration expiration. If you have not signed up to receive email or text notifications, the BMV will mail your notice 60 days before your registration expiration.
- You must renew your Indiana vehicle registration annually.
- Even if you did notreceive your renewal notice in the mail, you must still renew your registration before it expires.
See Indiana Registration Renewals to learn more.
Also Check: Synchrony Car Care Gas
How To Register A Car In Indiana As A New Resident
âHow do I figure out where to register my car in Indiana?â This is one of the most frequently asked questions from new residents, but before you can get your registration, you need to title your vehicle. You will then need to bring the following to the BMV:
- The vehicleâs title
- Proof of your Social Security Number. This is usually a Social Security Card, but you may also use a 1099 or a W-2 form.
- Proof of your address, which can be a bill, mortgage, voter registration card or other official document that shows both your name and address
- Either the vehicle or a filled-out Physical Inspection of a Vehicle or Watercraft â State Form 39530
You cannot register a vehicle online in Indiana if you are a new resident, because the BMV needs to examine your documentation in person. Once you have been declared a resident of the state, you have 60 days to complete the registration process.
Indiana Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees
There are certain IN car registration renewal costs that you will be responsible for paying. These fees vary depending on the different taxes and additional fees that your county requires. In general, you can find your exact total fee printed on your renewal notice. Examples of these general fees include:
- Passenger motor vehicle: $21.35
You May Like: Diy Car Freshie
Vehicle Registration Plates Of Indiana
|Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles|
The U.S. state of Indiana first required its residents to register their motor vehicles in 1905. Registrants provided their own license plates for display until July 1, 1913, when the state began to issue plates.
Plates are currently issued by the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles . Only rear plates have been required since 1956.
Washington Dc Car Registration Requirements
In Washington, D.C. non-residents are allowed to drive their vehicle up to 30 days maximum. For an additional fee, you can extend the deadline up to 180 additional days. A non-resident can only purchase the extra 180 days once a year. If you’re moving to Washington, D.C., you have 30 days to register your vehicle.
Don’t Miss: Car Salesman Commission Rate
How Much Does It Cost To Register A Car
The cost of registering a car also varies by state. Some states charge a flat fee, while others base their fees on factors like the vehicle’s age, its market value, or how many vehicles you already have registered to your name.
According to this table of title and registration fees compiled by AAA, registration fees range from $8 in Arizona to $217 in Montana, if the vehicle is under 4 years old.
Indiana Car Registration Renewal Notice Lost Or Not Received
You can generally expect to receive a registration renewal notice in Indiana. However, there may be instances where a notice is not received. This is particularly possible if you have recently moved and have not yet with the BMV. Regardless of whether you received a notice in the mail or not, it is your responsibility to ensure that you renew your car registration on time.
Note: If you have lost a car registration renewal form, you can still complete this procedure without any issues. Despite being helpful, the renewal notice is not required in order to process your request.
Read Also: Car Rental Discounts Through Aarp
Alabama Car Registration Requirements
Non-residents of Alabama must register their vehicles within 30 days of entering Alabama. Drivers must have the car’s title and proof of previous vehicle registration to purchase a new vehicle registration. Unless you are in college or the military, your vehicle must be inspected.Sponsored Link: Save time and money on insurance with Esurance. Get a quote online now.
What Is An Indiana Car Registration
Car registration in IN is a process that motorists must complete after submitting their title applications. Drivers cannot apply for vehicle registration documents and title certificates simultaneously, as both documents serve different purposes and require vehicle owners to complete separate applications.
While titles display proof of vehicle ownership, an auto registration certificate shows that a vehicle meets all state DMV car registration prerequisites, including the payment of new car registration fees and emissions testing and tampering inspection requirements .
You May Like: How Long Can Cars Last
Texas Car Registration Requirements
In Texas, a non-resident doesn’t need to register their vehicle if they plan not to make more than five occasional trips longer than five days each. If you plan to move to Texas, you have up to 30 days to register your vehicle with the state.
To learn more about registering a car in Texas, read our blog post: How to register a car in Texas.
Paperwork For Indiana Car Buyers
The paperwork you need to submit to the Indiana BMV varies based on whether you purchased your vehicle from a dealership or from a private party.
If you buy a car from a dealership, the dealer will most likely provide the BMV the necessary paperwork required to title and register the vehicle. Otherwise, make sure to obtain a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin to submit as your proof of ownership.
For vehicles purchased from a private seller, you’ll need certain documents before ownership can be legally transferred. Here’s the paperwork you’ll need to receive before completing the sale:
- The vehicle’s title with all transfer sections completed, including:
- The buyer and seller’s signatures.
- An odometer disclosure.
- The selling price.
Also Check: Who Is Avis Owned By
States Where Your License And Car Registration Don’t Have To Match
In all the remaining states, however, its a little trickier. If youre permanently moving to one of the remaining states, youre required to get a new drivers license as well as new registration for your car. So your license and registration need to match each other.
But if youre only in town temporarily, you might still need to reregister your car while keeping your current drivers license. In that case, your license and registration would not match. The laws vary, but some drivers who plan to stay in a state for as little as a month may need to register for a non-resident permit instead.
Either way, you need to address your registration within 10-90 days of arriving in one of these states, even if you dont plan to stay there. You might be tempted to procrastinate or keep your old registration until it expires. However, leaving your car registered in a state where you dont live is illegal in most situations. You risk a fine, license suspension, and denied insurance coverage if you get in an accident.
More Info For Transfer Your Registration And Title From Out Of State
The Massachusetts certificate of title will be processed and mailed in approximately 6 to 8 weeks. If you have a loan on the vehicle, the title will be mailed directly to your lienholder.
Vehicles exempt from Massachusetts sales tax
If while a resident of another state your vehicle was either purchased and registered in that state for more than 6 months or purchased in Massachusetts more than 6 months ago but was delivered to you out of Massachusetts by the seller, you are exempt from paying Massachusetts sales tax. When registering a vehicle purchased in Massachusetts that was delivered to another state, you must submit a copy of the bill of sale or dealer invoice, and a copy of your letter of delivery, which must be signed under the pains and penalties of perjury. The letter of delivery must include all of the following information:
- The name, address, and telephone number of the seller
- The name of the person who delivered the vehicle
- The date the vehicle was delivered
- The address to which the vehicle was delivered
- The name of the person who took delivery of the vehicle
- The vehicles odometer reading before and after the delivery
- The method of delivery
- The signature of the seller or an authorized representative if a dealer
Note: If the seller is a dealer or company, the letter of delivery must be on the dealership or company letterhead.
Vehicles not exempt from Massachusetts sales tax
Bringing leased vehicles to Massachusetts
Information on Massachusetts Vehicle Excise Tax
Recommended Reading: What Is The Fastest Car In Forza Horizon 3
Documents You Must Provide When Applying For A New Car Title In Indiana
To obtain a new or used car title in Indiana, vehicle owners must submit an application along with the following supporting documentation:
- The certificate of car title or the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin.
- If there is not enough room on the car title for including an odometer reading, applicants must complete an Odometer Disclosure Statement .
- A Physical Inspection of a Vehicle or Watercraft , if applicable.
- A Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Paid or proof of paying sales tax.
- A Certificate of Gross Retail or Use Tax Exemption , if exempt from paying sales tax.
- Proof of address, including a driver license or identification card .
- Proof of the applicants SSN or Federal Identification Number .
- An Affidavit or notarized lien release letter, if removing a lien from an individual lienholder and not a dealer or financial institution. Alternately, the lienholder may sign the lien release section on the title.
- Payment for all applicable auto title fees.
Note: To get an Indiana car title after purchasing a vehicle from out-of-state, applicants must complete a Request for Title if there is a lien on the vehicle and the lienholder is holding the vehicles title.
Custom Car Registration In Indiana
Registering a vintage car in Indiana and applying for a custom car registration are procedures that can be completed through the state Bureau of Motor Vehicles by owners of these special types of vehicles. In order to obtain an antique vehicle registration for a historic vehicle or a registration for custom cars in IN, applicants will be required to submit a set of documents and fee payments.
Note that these special transactions differ in certain regards from the process of registering regular passenger vehicles. Learn how to register a custom car or an antique vehicle by reading the sections outlined below.
Don’t Miss: How Much Commision Do Car Salesmen Make
Do I Need To Register My Vehicle In New York State
- if you arent a resident of New York, the registration from your state of residence is valid here
- if you move to New York and become a resident, you must register your vehicle here within 30 days of becoming a resident
- if you are a resident of New York and you get a vehicle from another state which you will be driving on New York State roadways, you must register the vehicle here within 30 days
Pennsylvania Car Registration Requirements
If you are a non-resident in Pennsylvania and your vehicle is registered in another state, you don’t have to register it again. All new residents are required to apply for a Pennsylvania title and vehicle registration within 20 days of residing there.
To learn more about registering a car in Pennsylvania, read our blog post: How to register a car in Pennsylvania.
Also Check: Do Car Salesmen Get Paid Weekly
Registering A Motorcycle In Indiana
Indiana allows its residents to register a new vehicle online, provided they do so within 45 days of purchasing the motorcycle. If more than 60 days have passed since the purchase date, Indiana residents need to register their motorcycle in person.
Additionally, the steps to registering your motorcycle may differ depending on whether the resident bought the bike from a dealership or a private seller.
How Much Does It Cost To Transfer A Title And Register A Car In Florida
The cost of transferring a title and registering a car in Florida varies depending on a few factors. The base fee for transferring a title is $75.50, and the price for registering a vehicle is $46. If you are also changing your registration, the total cost will be $121.50.
The fees may be higher if you transfer a luxury vehicle or need to get a new title because your old one was lost or damaged. The total cost of transferring a title and registering a car in Florida can range from $75.50 to over $200. It depends on the value of your vehicle and the county you live in.
You May Like: How To Remove Hail Dents