Why Run A Vehicle Title Search
Running a vehicle title search can help you learn more about the history of a vehicle beyond what the owner has told you. While many sellers are completely on the up and up, some may be unscrupulous. Others may simply not know the full history of the vehicle because they were never given all of the information.
When you perform a vehicle title search, youll be able to find out if the vehicle has been involved in any minor or major collisions. This can impact the value of the car as well as the potential overall performance of the vehicle youre looking at buying.
Youll also learn whether the owner knows the true history of the car or if theyre trying to pull the wool over your eyes and get you to buy at a price thats not truly fair.
Dont Miss: How To Detail Your Own Car
How Do You Change Your Car Registration Address
You can change your car registration address online through the service Ontario website. You are required by law to notify the Ministry of Transportation within 6 days of changing your address. If you have recently moved, you must change your address before you renew your license plate sticker.
If you change your address online, you will need to pick up your new permit at a Service Ontario location. You must bring your old permit.
How Do I Renew Online
- You have:
- a Class 3 passenger vehicle – car, light truck, van or motorhome
- a Class 3 motorcycle
- a Class 3 off-highway vehicle
- a Class 1 or Class 3 commercial trailer
- a Class 2 farm vehicle – truck, utility, sport utility or cargo van
- a Class 1 commercial car rental
- Your vehicle is not registered as a fleet or company vehicle
- Your address has not changed
- Your registration has not been expired for more than 12 months
- Your vehicle has valid insurance
- You want to renew your vehicle registration for one year
- You have no outstanding fines, maintenance enforcement restrictions or motor vehicle debts
- Your MyAlberta Digital ID account information.You will be required to sign into your MyAlberta Digital ID account in order to complete the service.
- Your current vehicle registration certificate, which contains your licence plate number and your registration number.
- Your valid driver’s licence, which contains your driver’s licence number and your MVID.
- Your valid insurance pink card as proof of insurance coverage. Your insurance must provide public liability and propertydamage coverage under an owner’s automobile insurance policy as provided for in the Alberta Insurance Act.
- Your credit or debit card ready to make a payment. MyAlberta eServices accepts Visa Credit and Debit, MasterCard, American Express, or Interac Online.
- How can we help?
Recommended Reading: How Does Bluetooth Work In A Car
What Is A Title Number
A car title number is a unique, multi-digit number that is usually stamped on a section of the car title. These are also known as control numbers or document numbers. Often, title numbers can only help locate a vehicle title and do not provide information about the vehicle itself. When the owner of the car changes, the title number also changes.
Some states no longer issue paper titles and instead use an electronic database to record information that is typically included on car titles.
Also Check: How To Remove Hard Water Stains From Car
Get A Duplicate Log Book
You need to get a log book if the original has been lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed by you or your insurance company.
You can get a duplicate log book online if you do not need to change anything in the log book. The log book will be posted to the address which the DVLA has on record.
- your name or address have changed
- the vehicle details have changed
- youve bought, sold or transferred a vehicle
- you did not get a log book with your new vehicle
Recommended Reading: How To Get In Car When Locked Out
How To Get Your Title After Paying Off Your Car Loan
Once you pay off your auto loan, the lien holder who serviced your loan is required to notify your states Department of Monitor Vehicles, or DMV. They can do so electronically or by submitting specific state-required paperwork, but either way, they will let your auto loan servicer know you that no longer carry a balance on your loan.
After youve paid off your auto loan, youll have a free and clear vehicle title, meaning you now fully own your car, says Julie Shinn, vice president of lender management at RateGenius. Anytime there are ownership changes, you have to update the title.
Recommended Reading: How To Refinance Your Car
Duplicate And Replacement Registration
A duplicate registration;is needed when you require a new license plate, sticker, or registration document due to being lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed.
If the license plate was mailed by the BMV and you never received it, please call the Contact Center at or visit your local BMV branch.
- Duplicate License Plate:
- You must visit a branch to obtain a duplicate plate. You will receive the same plate number and same plate type if a replacement/duplicate plate is needed.
- Duplicate Motor Vehicle Registration Document: used when you require a duplicate registration document due to damage or loss.
- You may print a duplicate registration through at no cost. State Form 37135 – Application for Replacement or Duplicate License Plate is not required to be submitted for a duplicate motor vehicle registration.
Recommended Reading: Who To Call For Abandoned Car
Online Change Of Vehicle Ownership Service
Motor dealers are involved in the majority of vehicle sale and purchase transactions and the department has introduced an e- government service which enables approved dealers notify vehicle ownership changes to the nvdf over the internet at www.motortrans.ie.
The online facility can only be used by dealers who have been approved by the department for the submission of details by electronic means. The website contains instructions for dealers to register to use the service.
The online service also incorporates:
- a facility whereby authorised treatment facilities may notify vehicle end-of-life instances
- a transaction tracking facility for motor dealers who submit electronic notices
- a facility for the general motoring public where, through a link from the online motor tax website www.motortax.ie, some non confidential information on recent transactions recorded on the nvdf may be obtained this is to avoid the necessity to make telephone calls to establish the status of change of ownership notices
Change Of Vehicle Ownership
The law requires that all changes of vehicle ownership must be notified to the department of transport and the changes recorded on the national vehicle and driver file . In addition to fulfilling legal obligations in relation to vehicle registration and motor tax collection these details may also be very beneficial to owners themselves. For example when a vehicle is subject to a safety recall manufacturers endeavor to contact all registered owners with the assistance of data from the nvdf. Therefore, it is important that the ownership and address details are up to date at all times and that changes are notified promptly.
There are obligations on both the sellers and buyers of vehicles to comply with the procedures for notification of vehicle ownership and there are penalties, upon conviction, for non compliance. The onus is on the seller to ensure that the necessary documentation relating to a change of ownership is completed. A registered owner must be recorded against each vehicle and in the event of failure to establish the correct credentials of a new owner the sellers name remains on record. That person remains liable for any charges which arise in relation to the vehicle including motor tax and any penalties which may be incurred .
Recommended Reading: What Is My Car Worth Nada
Of 3: Completing The Paperwork Required
Step 1: Obtain written consent. Once consent is confirmed, obtain it in writing from the party whose name is being removed from the title.
If there is a consent form at your DMV, print it out and fully complete it.
Step 2: Obtain proof of death if needed. If the owner of the vehicle is deceased, you will need to present proof of his or her death along with an affidavit or certified letter from the trustee of the estate.
Step 3: Include any other necessary documentation. Attach any required documentation such as proof of identification and the current title.
You may need to have copies certified as true copies by a notary public.
Be prepared with the drivers licenses of both parties involved, the current mileage on the car, and the insurance documents.
- Tip: Once a name has been removed from the title, you may need to have the insurance changed to read the same as the title.
Vehicle Data Exchange With Northern Ireland
Pending the development of EU-wide data exchange arrangements an arrangement has been put in place between the Dept of Transport and counterparts in the UK for a Pilot Project facilitating the exchange of vehicle owner information with Northern Ireland. Under the agreement data will be released to specific named parties for the purposes of traffic enforcement, including in particular, parking offences/ contraventions, toll evasion and bus lane contraventions.
The pilot scheme and the data exchange arrangements associated with it, which commenced in March 2010, operated extremely well and has proved very successful. The scheme has been extended for a further period in order that cross border enforcement proceedings can be carried out and the full effectiveness of the scheme evaluated.
Data will be only be directly exchanged between the relevant vehicle registration and licensing authorities- the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division of the Department of Transport in Ireland who are responsible for the National Vehicle and Driver File in Shannon, and the DVA of the Department of the Environment in Northern Ireland acting on behalf of the Secretary of State for Transport.
You May Like: How To Fix My Car Ac
I Have Not Received My Registration Renewal Notice What Should I Do
You can renew your vehicle without the renewal notice if you provide the following to your county tax office:
- Registration receipt from the previous year, or
- Texas license plate number, or
- Vehicle Identification Number
- Government issued photo ID
Ask your local county tax office to verify your correct mailing address. If you would like to be reminded by email when to renew in the future, sign up for our free;eReminder;service now.
Restorations Engine Swaps Kit Cars Salvage Vehicles
Contact us with specifics before you begin work.
Title – Make sure you own the car! You can do a title-only transaction and establish legal ownership of a vehicle without registering it. Vehicles coming from out-of-state must have a VIN inspection.
Inspections – Many salvage vehicles, kit cars and antiques have to be inspected by the DMV and/or a licensed mechanic. See the publications and forms under Vehicle Ownership Forms and contact a DMV VIN Inspector.
Salvage Vehicles – There are strict laws, special requirements and several classifications for vehicles that have been severely damaged. Review our Salvage Vehicles page carefully.
Also Check: Where Is The Car Show This Weekend
Finding Your Registration Status
Tip: Most states require you to keep your registration card in your vehicle. If you’ve lost this card, contact your state’s department of motor vehicles to find out how you can replace it.
First Taxing A New Or Imported Vehicle
Car or motorcycle
For the first taxing of a new or imported car or motorcycle the following will be required:
- application form rf100
- appropriate fee
To be taxed at the goods rate, a vehicle must be constructed or adapted for use and used for the conveyance of goods or burden of any other description in the course of trade or business . An articulated vehicle is regarded as a single vehicle. Motor tax is payable on the basis of the unladen weight of the tractor unit, plus the unladen weight of the heaviest semi-trailer which will be used at any time during the period of the tax disc.
Small Goods Vehicles ) that are used in a private capacity are taxed on the basis of the engine capacity of the vehicle and are not taxed on the basis of CO2 emissions.
For the first taxing of a new or imported goods vehicle you need:
- application form rf100
- a weight docket if the unladen weight is not shown on the rf 100 form or has changed since registration with the revenue commissioners
If the unladen weight exceeds 1524 kg you will also need:
- a weight docket
- if the vehicle is 1 year old or over , a certificate of roadworthiness/pass statement
If the unladen weight does not exceed 1524 kg you will also need:
- a weight docket from an authorised weightbridge if an imported goods vehicle
- if the vehicle is one year old or over a certificate of roadworthiness /pass statement
If the design gross vehicle weight of the vehicle does not exceed 3,500 kg you will also need
Don’t Miss: How Long Do Car Batteries Last
Texas State Parks Won’t Be The Same Without You
Help keep Texas State Parks open and maintained so that we can enjoy these special places for generations to come. Donate $5 or more when you renew your vehicle registration. You can donate on the front of your registration renewal form or at your county tax assessor-collectors office. Learn more at www.texasstateparks.org/help.
Give And Let Live With Donate Life Texas
Thousands of Texans await the gift of life. Donate Life Texas provides comfort for families in crisis and provides life-saving and life-enhancing organ and tissue transplants for patients in need, thanks to individuals and families who choose to donate. Find out more and register to Donate Life at www.donatelifetexas.org/promo/dmv.
Don’t Miss: Can I Register My Car Online Florida
Motor Tax And Vehicle Registration
The National Vehicle and Driver File is a database containing details of all 2.5 million registered vehicles and their owners as well as the 2.6 million licensed drivers in the country.
The system which is maintained and supported by the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division of the Department of Transport, located in Shannon, Co. Clare, is central to the processing of motor tax and driving licence business through which in excess of 1 billion is collected annually. The National Vehicle and Driver File also fulfills legal obligations in relation to the national driver and vehicle registers.
The National Vehicle and Driver File supports motor tax and driving licence services for all users across in motor tax offices and other outlets throughout the country, the internet based Motor Tax Services and Change of Vehicle Ownership Services and at Shannon where data processing of change of vehicle ownership notices takes place.
How To Check Check The Status Of Your Vehicle Registration
The easiest and quickest way to;check your vehicle’s registration status is online.;You will need your plate type and registration number.
The following vehicle registration types are not available online:
For these plate types, contact the RMV’s Section 5 Department at .
For apportioned plates, contact the RMV’s International Registration Plan Department at .
Read Also: How To Remove Hard Water Stains From Car