Do You Need To Disconnect Car Battery Before Changing Stereo
To remove your car stereo, you will first need to disconnect your batterys ground wire. This is the black wire connected to the battery under the hood of your car. It is dangerous to work on electrical components of a vehicle with this connected. Be careful, because there will be many wires attached to the back.
Do I Need An Aerial For My Dab Radio
Due to the fact that DAB runs on similar principles to that of traditional AM and F.M. radio , you will need an aerial, so you can pick up frequencies and thus DAB DAB+ channels.
There are different types of DAB aerials, and depending on how you plan to upgrade your car stereo, it will utilize one of these types.
- Internal glass mount DAB aerials
- External glass mount DAB aerials
- Roof-mounted DAB aerials
- Body mounted DAB aerials
Plug And Play Dab Units
This is the simplest and least expensive option you can choose to upgrade your car stereo to a DAB stereo.
These types of DAB units are standalone devices that mount to your windscreen or dashboard. Most of these DAB units will also allow your current stereo to play music because they tend to stream audio by broadcasting on an F.M. frequency.
Plug and play units are pretty straightforward to install, and some devices will use slightly different methods. All in all, you will be able to accomplish this yourself just by reading the owners manual and guide.
Read Also: Car Making Scraping Noise When Accelerating
Does Dab Radio Need Wifi To Work
DAB uses an entirely different technology to that of WiFi and hence is used on separate devices. DAB works on frequency modulation across bandwidths and therefore does not require the use of WiFi.
You can listen to digital radio stations on your smartphone if you wish, but this will require WiFi use however, smartphones do not come with DAB tuners, so you will need to install an app to create this functionality.
How it works is that your phone will utilize data sending and receiving packets to the app. The app will be receiving the transmission via the standard DAB and DAB+ protocols of frequency modulation via bandwidths.
How To Install A Car Radio With Wiring Harness
The wire harness is essentially a plastic plug that consolidates all of the cables needed for the proper functioning of a car radio .
There can be one or multiple wiring harness connectors coming from the car installation.
The purpose of these connectors is to make the car radio a plug-in appliance making life easier when installing, removing, or replacing the car radio.
Also, thanks to standardizing, almost all wiring harnesses are compatible with every car radio.
For instance, if you buy any kind of aftermarket car radio, there is a good possibility that it will fit the installation on your car. How good is that?
Even if it doesnt , you can change the pins inside the harness and solve the problem.
To get back to the procedure:
1. Connect the new car radio. Take a look, just in case, that the harness is the same and that it fits into the slot of the radio. Dont worry, the plastic plug has such a shape that it can be connected in just one way so you cant make a mistake.
2. Connect the other installation .
3. Before inserting the radio back into place, return the power and try the radio out. See that everything works. This way, if somethings wrong, you can check it out and avoid another removal.
4. Insert the wire harness into the hole in the console, sort of tuck in the wiring loom. Make sure that the harness will not be pinched or damaged.
5. Insert the radio back in place.
7. Turn on the car radio and see, again if everything is OK.
Recommended Reading: Synchrony Car Care Gas
Keeping The Features You Want
Infotainment can mean slightly different things depending on the manufacturer. It’s an umbrella term that includes everything from GPS navigation to Bluetooth integration and in-car multimedia. A growing percentage of new cars sold each year come with these systems instead of basic head units.
You may want to retain some features of your vehicle’s infotainment system while letting go of others. It’s important to consider this when looking at upgrade options.
Features that you may lose access to by switching to an aftermarket head unit include the following:
- Steering wheel audio controls
The Biggest Pitfalls Of Diy Head Unit Installation
There are three main issues that you can run afoul of while replacing your own head unit:
- Difficult trim and dash components: Very few car radios pop out of the dash without at least a little finagling. Some are more difficult than others, and you may end up breaking delicate trim components if you aren’t very careful.
- Fit and mounting issues with the new head unit: If you buy a head unit that’s the wrong size, it won’t fit. That’s why it’s so important to make sure you buy the right size head unit, and also pick up the right mounting kit if one is available.
- Wiring confusion: There are some fairly standard wiring color combinations, but you can still run into situations where it isn’t clear what is suppose to connect to where. This is especially true if your radio has already been replaced in the past.
Recommended Reading: Why Is Car Registration So Expensive In California 2020
Basic Types Of Car Radio Systems That Youll Encounter
Basically two types of car radio systems:
1. Factory car radio
These are made and designed together with the car making it a perfect match, be it a classical car stereo system or a modern infotainment one. Came with the car from the factory.
2. Aftermarket car stereo and infotainment systems
Built-in afterward for various reasons .
How To Pull Out A Car Radio
Once youve prepared everything, pulling out the car radio [stereo} is next.
Car radios, in most cases, are held in place with a clip system which is behind the front mask.
Once you insert the car radio in the slot, the clips spread inside the mounting, holding the radio tightly in place.
On this part, youll need these:
Radio removal tools specially made for this task. There are different types, see which ones fit for your car radio.
Plastic trim tools: if the car has a factory radio, chances are that it will have plastic trimming around it. You have to remove them to gain access to the screws that hold the radio and mounting in place.
Patience . Take your time and dont lose your temper.
Now for the procedure:
1. Take out the car radio fuse and loosen the battery terminal.
2. Take off any plastic trimming around the radio . Use plastic trimming tools.
3. If you have an aftermarket one, take the display off and the plastic trim around it. This is for gaining access to push in the radio removal keys or to screws that hold the radio in place.
4. Insert the radio removal tools into both slots .
5. Insert both sides before pulling out the car radio as much as possible.
6. Use the radio removal keys as handles and pull the radio out. If possible, avoid pulling the radio by the front mask o avoid damage.
7. Pull out until the wiring appears. Disconnect the wiring harness connector, antenna connection, or any other connection that may be.
Also Check: How To Burn Mp3 Cd For Car
What Is A Car Radio Replacement
A car radio replacement is an audio system that you replace your factory radio with. There are a few reasons why you may consider upgrading your car radio with a replacement, including:
- Better sound quality: Upgraded radios can offer you better sound quality.
- Upgraded features: Newer radios come with , like digital media playback or Bluetooth connectivity. Some also come with touch screens.
- More control over your radio: Newer sound systems also offer you better control with the ability to adjust things like bass and frequency.
- Modern design: Upgraded radios also have a more modern design. They sometimes come in vibrant, colorful designs that can add an element of design to your car.
Additionally, some people may choose to change out their car radios for functionality. You may want a system that allows you to stream music from your phone, and listen to CDs.
How Do I Fit A Digital Antenna For My New Car Stereo
If you’re upgrading to a DAB car stereo you’ll need to install a new aerial because your old aerial is designed to pick up analogue signals.
Fortunately, you should be able to get away with a window-mounted DAB aerial, with the wiring tucked behind the A-pillar trim and fed under the rest of the trim to the dashboard make sure it’s properly secured.
It’s unlikely that your new DAB stereo will come with an aerial in the box, so buy one at the same time .
Also Check: Carvana Sell Leased Car
Am/fm Reception Will Suffer
In modern vehicles, there are plenty of antennas around the vehicle to provide the best signal reception the vehicle can provide. Roof top mounted shark fin antennas, transparent windshield or side mounted antennas are designed with respect to vehicles shape and maximize the reception in any situation. Most factory radios have at least 2 antenna ports for better radio signal fusion.
More advanced stereos may feature 3-4 antenna inputs, antennas with built in amplifiers or special antenna module connected via UTP/MOST. These kind of stereos usually provide the best in class AM/FM/DAB/HD Radio reception available for the particular vehicle. By replacing the radio with even the best aftermarket stereo the quality of reception and functionality will degrade.
How To Choose A Car Radio Replacement
You can choose the best car radio replacement by considering your sizing and preferred features. Always choose a car radio replacement that is made for your specific make and model of vehicle.
The radio size is usually measured by Din size. Cars have either a single or double din, which you can find in your owner’s manual. There are also different types of receivers. This refers to the head unit or the type of multimedia receiver.
Another thing to consider when choosing a car radio replacement is the features that are most important to you in a car radio. A few features to consider include:
- The ability to sync your smartphone.
- USB inputs.
- Bluetooth connection.
- Apple CarPlay or Android Auto capability.
Additionally, car radios come in different designs. Choose one that fits the look of your interior, or go with a car radio replacement that allows you to customize its home screen for more options.
You May Like: Fastest Cars In The World 2021
Preparing To Install New Speakers
Selecting New Speakers
Getting Ready to Install Your Speakers
What Tools Will You Need
One car intervention that isnt needy concerning tools.
Most of them you probably already have around your household.
If you have a wiring harness connector on your car installation youll need:
A basic set of tools
Stereo removal tools-keys
Plastic trim tools
If you dont have a wire harness connector and have to do some wiring yourself youll additionally need:
Basic pencil type installation tester: watch the proper voltage 12V for cars, 24V for trucks
Multi-meter: the basic type will do
Insulation tape or plastic connectors with insulation on them
Note: use either a tester or a multi-meter. No need for both.
You May Like: What Is Columbo’s Car
Should I Upgrade My Car Stereo Head Unit
Before you buy and install one of our recommended best car stereos or gps navigation units, you need to ask yourself the following questions to determine IF you should upgrade or replace your stereo and what kind of stereo you should upgrade it with.
If, asking yourself all of these question, you still feel it’s necessary to buy and install a new head unit, here are the next steps!
What Does Din Mean For Car Stereos
DIN is a car audio standard that was created by the German standards body Deutsches Institut für Normung . It specifies a height and width for car head units. When a unit is referred to as a single DIN car stereo, or a single DIN car radio, that means it is the height and width outlined in the DIN standard.
Don’t Miss: Transferring A Title In Arizona
How To Install Car Radio Without Wiring Harness
As mentioned, most car electric installations have a built-in wiring harness for connecting the car radio.
But because of various situations , the wire harness may be missing.
Youll find yourself in a situation where you simply dont have a plug for the car radio.
But there is a solution to this:
- If you have a radio with a standard slot for a wiring harness connector, go to your local car parts shop and buy a new wire harness connector that fits.
Your task will be to connect the harness to the car installation making a plug-in connection of your own
- If you have a radio without a wire harness connection , directly connect the radio wires to the car installation .
Mostly, when you buy a new car radio it will have included the wiring harness connector, with used ones youre probably going to have to visit the car parts shop.
So, once youve solved the missing wiring harness connector problem, youre good to go on connecting it to the car installation.
To resume on this part: youre connecting the wire harness connector to the installation, not the car radio. Imagine this as installing an electric plug on a home appliance. Simple as that.
The car radio is plugged in afterward.
Before you start, have in mind that the car installation should have all of the needed elements .
Your job is to merge that installation with the new wiring harness connector.
The color of the wires is standardized on most cars so this should also help you.
Heres the procedure:
Assess The Situation: Every Vehicle Is Different
Lifewire / Jeremy Laukkonen
For aesthetic reasons, the fasteners that hold car radios in place are often hidden. To access the fasteners, remove the trim piece. These trim pieces sometimes pop right out, but many have hidden screws behind the ashtray, switches, or plugs.
After you have removed the trim piece screws, insert a flat blade screwdriver or prying tool to pop off the trim piece.
Some units are held in place with other methods. Ford head units, for example, are sometimes held in by internal clasps that can only be released with a special tool.
Don’t force off the trim piece, faceplate, or dash components if they will not budge. Carefully examine the area where the piece is bound, and you will probably find a screw, bolt, or other fastener holding it in place.
Also Check: Add Carplay To My Car
How To Replace A Car Stereo Head Unit With A New One
- Shoreline Community College
A new head unit can modernize your dashboard, improve the performance of your speaker system, and give you access to a range of media devices, such as Bluetooth control, HD and satellite radio, or even a DVD player. Installing one is a relatively easy upgrade that you may be able to do yourself, even if you’re an inexperienced DIYer.
Here’s how to get the job done.