Replacing An Air Filter
How To Fix Frame Damage On A Car
Frame damage occurs when your vehicle has been struck or damaged at a critical part of its structure. And while we all hope we never have to deal with major damage, the potential for fender-benders, accidents, and the need for repairs are just a part of owning a car.
Think of a car frame as your vehicle’s core foundation. Apart from the fact that it’s an integral part of your car, it also makes things possible you might not have thought about, such as keeping doors aligned when they’re closed, supporting the motor and bumpers, and providing a strong steel base off which to build everything else that makes up a vehicle. And if you recently had a run-in on the road that resulted in a bent or damaged frame, it’s going to affect road safety and potentially make it impossible to drive your car without getting it fixed.
Current vehicles are made to sustain most of the impact from any accidental collisions or fender-benders, and have places known as crumple zones. This is important for safety, since the crumple zones bear the brunt of the damage rather than their passengers, and depending on the nature of the incident, your car’s frame may be bent or damaged. Now you’re wondering how to fix or straighten the car frame yourself.
In this article we’ll explore fixing frame damage yourself, as well as the tools that professionals need/use to fix this type of damage.
Replacing A Headlight Or Taillight
Having a broken headlight or taillight is not only inconvenient, but is actually illegal. Consequently, you need to change them as soon as they begin to fade. But why waste money on a mechanic when the DIY replacement is so easy?
The process involves: removing the screws connecting the headlight frame to the bracket, disconnecting the electrical connector, removing the faulty bulb and replacing it with a new one, plugging the connector back on, and finally replacing the frame.
Sometimes only your frame might be broken, which can be just as hazardous. You can change it following the same procedure.
You May Like: What Oil Do I Use For My Car
Take Classes To Become An Auto Mechanic
The best way to learn is from experienced instructors who can show you how to properly work on a car. Since most of todays models are run by computers, do-it-yourself repairs arent what they used to be. At Porter and Chester Institute, we offer an Automotive Technology program in Connecticut and Massachusetts that can train you to diagnose and repair the important components of a car. Our classes are taught by certified technicians in both an online setting as well as in our auto shops. If you want to turn your love of cars into an exciting career in the automotive industry, contact us today.
Take the Next Step with PCI
Best Ways To Learn How To Fix Cars
Are you crazy about cars? Do you fantasize about days spent under a popped hood, a torque wrench in hand and a grease rag in your back pocket? Then its time to put your passion into practice. Even if you dont have any experience with cars, you can still learn how to fix them up. And once you start to fix them up for fun, you may discover car maintenance and repair is the career for you! But here are some tips to learn the basics of car repairs:
You May Like: Club Car Model Year
How Do I Get A Car Repair Estimate
What Should an auto repair cost? Unless youre a mechanic or an expert on fixing your vehicle yourself, you probably dont have a clue about car repair prices. Not to worry. Building on our 90 years of pricing experience, Kelley Blue Book has the Fair Repair Range to show you what car repairs should cost. You can even get an auto repair quote from a local service center or auto shop.
Tell us what your car needs brake repair, battery replacement, radiator repair, transmission repair and well give you a free estimate.
How To Clean A Slot Loading Cd Player
A dirty CD player can affect the sound quality and give error readings.
To clean a slot loading CD player:
- Check the CD in the player to confirm it isnt loaded. If the CD drive is tray-loaded, open the tray and detach the power cable without putting off the power button. Doing this will allow the tray to remain open to enable you have check the slot. Propel dust using a handheld air bulb. Press the bulb to lightly blow dust out of the slot and/or tray. A can of dense air is a dangerous option, so ensure you use brief blasts only to evade extreme force, and check that the spray is totally dry.
- If the dust blower fails to rectify the fault, then access the lens by removing the lens cover. It may require you to start by loosening the outer case, but you may ignore this if you have a snap-open portable player. Then locate the little screws gripping down the plastic cover over the lens assembly and unscrew them. This should reveal a small, circular lens to one side of the spindle.
- Then get a microfiber cloth cleaner. They are being sold at electronics store or eyeglasses. There are also some particular swabs for cleaning electronics will also work. You should only use cotton swabs as a last alternative because they can scratch your lens.
- Allow the lens to air dry before replacing the cover. You can equally use the air bulb to blow out dust from the interior system. After replacing the lens cover, avoid tightening the screws excessively as it can cause the plastic case.
Recommended Reading: Make Freshies
Spray On The Clear Coat
Apply several coats of clear coat, allowing the recommended drying time between coats. Gradually work the clear coat into the surrounding painted areas to achieve a smooth blend line. This is the hardest part because all clear coats run easily and that will ruin the look of your paint job. If you create a run in the clear coat, youll have to let it dry for at least 48 hours before attempting to fix it with fine-grit sandpaper and polishing compound. Then youll have to respray the sanded area. So practice spraying on a scrap piece of cardboard to get a feel for the nozzle and the speed of application.
Using an old cotton T-shirt or microfibre cloth and buffing compound, hand-buff the repaired area. Dont use a polishing machine for this step. Wait at least 30 days before waxing.
Arguments For Fixing Up
Buying a new car may not be right for you, for budgetary or other reasons. Here are a few examples of why it might be a good idea to get the repairs done.
- It is almost always less expensive to repair a car than buy a new one.
- Although something as severe as a blown motor or a failed transmission will run you between $3,000 and $7,000 to replace at a dealership, such repairs still don’t cost as much as buying a new car. That $3,000 or $7,000 would certainly make a nice down payment, but then there are the monthly payments to consider. You can perhaps purchase a used car for that much, but just keep in mind that another used car could come with its own set of issues.
- Insurance and registration fees will be higher on a new car.
- A new car typically loses an estimated 22 percent of its value in the first year. Your car has already taken that depreciation hit.
- You really need the car to last a while longer. Let’s say you were planning on getting a new car in a year or two, but it broke down earlier than expected. Repairing it now will help you stay on the road and keep you from making a hasty new car purchase. It will also give you more time to save up and get your finances in order.
- You have a sentimental attachment to your car. Maybe it was your first car, a gift from a loved one, or a dream car you finally were able to purchase. For you, buying a new car would mean giving up an old friend. This is not the strongest argument for fixing it up, but it’s a real one.
Recommended Reading: Car Makes Grinding Noise When Braking And Accelerating
Preparing The Paint For Repair
- Bucket of soap and water
- Clean cloth or towel
Step 1: Wash the car: You should always begin any repair to your vehicles body by washing the affected area.
A clean workspace will ensure that dirt and dust dont cause any further abrasions to your vehicle’s exterior.
Step 2: Sand the affected area. After washing the affected area, you will want to sand the area surrounding the scratch.
Sanding makes the affected area smooth, allowing for a consistent look when new paint is applied.
If the scratch covers a large area youll want to use sandpaper. If the scratch is small, you may be able to use toothpaste
- Note: You may not need to sand scratches that have affected the clear coat only. Because it is only the top-most layer of your vehicles exterior, it is the easiest to repair. If you are sure the scratch has only affected the clear coat, skip to Part 3.
Step 3: Apply some toothpaste. For small scratches or chips, you may be able to sand the affected area using your common household toothpaste. While this may sound strange, toothpaste has the same abrasive properties as a fine sandpaper.
Dabbing a small amount of toothpaste onto a cotton swab or clean cloth and rubbing it in a circular motion on the affected area with smooth the scratch and ready it for new paint.
Step 4: Sand the scratch. For scratches that take up a larger area, youll want to use sandpaper.
Easy Diy Car Repairs To Save Big
Disclaimer: This site contains affiliate links from which we receive a compensation . But they do not affect the opinions and recommendations of the authors.
Wise Bread is an independent, award-winning consumer publication established in 2006. Our finance columns have been reprinted on MSN, Yahoo Finance, US News, Business Insider, Money Magazine, and Time Magazine.
Like many news outlets our publication is supported by ad revenue from companies whose products appear on our site. This revenue may affect the location and order in which products appear. But revenue considerations do not impact the objectivity of our content. While our team has dedicated thousands of hours to research, we aren’t able to cover every product in the marketplace.
For example, Wise Bread has partnerships with brands including, but not limited to, American Express, Bank of America, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Discover, and Amazon.
Read Also: How To Cancel Car Insurance Geico
Fix A Chipped Windshield
I recently had to do this one myself, and I can tell youit’s so simple. I had a small rock chip in the windshield. I was tempted to go by one of those “fix it free” places that hang out near malls, but they operate through your insurance company, and I wasn’t keen on going through all that for a simple rock chip.
On Amazon or eBay, you can find windshield repair kits for under $15. Some run as low as $8. When you get it, all you need to do is dig out any loose glass with the pin provided, and then thoroughly clean it, and the surrounding area. You will have to stick a small device to the windshield that forms a seal around the rock chip, and then a vacuum contraption will work to apply the resin into the crack. It’s an operation that takes less than one hour, from opening the package to the finished result, and most of that is simply waiting time. Stop that crack from spreading, before you need to replace the entire windshield. That can be costly.
Now, what services do you regularly perform on your own car that saves you time and money? Let us know in the comments below.
Installing A New Fuel Filter
Don’t Miss: Cost To Register A Car In Texas
Check The Seals And Gaskets
Weather, age, and normal wear and tear can weaken the rubber trimming around the narrow opening where the car window nests. Loose or broken trimming could cause the window to stick open or closed.
Before opening up the door panel to check for interior mechanical or electrical problems, check whether the rubber trims are worn out. Replace broken gaskets. You can buy these online or from your local auto shop.
If the gasket is loose, apply 3M super adhesive around the loose areas and let it dry overnight. Be sure not to glue the glass to the rubber trimming.
When The Ac Is Running
Cool air shouldnt come at the cost of unwanted moisture. Those of you living in hot climates may have to sacrifice comfort for a short period to test this theory out.
Attempt to drive around without your AC running for a while. Keep an eye on the places where water accumulates. If you notice improvement, youre one step closer to solving and fixing the breach.
What Could it Be?
Dampness, drips or puddles inside your cabin when youre using the AC could mean theres a problem in one of these:
- Air conditioning system.
- Heater core.
Don’t Miss: How Much Does A Car Salesman Make Per Car
Strategies For An Effective To
So what should be on a to-do list? What is the best to-do list system?
Youll begin to see how powerful a to-do list is when you consider the various strategies you can incorporate in one. This is your to-do list, so pick from the strategies below to find what suits you. If youre not certain, dont be afraid to experiment and mishmash several combinations.
Remember that the road to success is one with many branching paths, so the methods you use are your choice.
1. Break the List Into Two Parts
The first strategy is to break a list into two parts. These two parts are called dailies and to dos.
Dailies are the everyday tasks that you want to develop more. For example, if you want to make a habit out of exercising in the morning, a daily task could be following a 15-minute workout routine or going for an hour-long walk.
Your to dos are non-daily tasks that you need to be getting done at some point. Maybe you need to prepare a report at work or make a presentation. You can put that into your to do column.
This is an effective strategy because it saves all the clutter that most people gravitate towards. As mentioned before, people stuff their lists, and a lot of it is usually tasks they you would do anyway, like going grocery shopping or dropping the kids off at a friends place.
2. Put a Limit on Items
3. Use Checklists for Complex Tasks
4. Tackle MITs First
All of that wouldnt be a problem if that big intimidating task was dealt with first thing in the morning.