Vehicles That Cant Be Driven On Public Roads
Miniature vehicles that are less than standard size cant be issued a vehicle registration certificate and cannot be driven on public roads. These vehicles may be used on privately owned land only.
- 3 or 4 wheeled miniature all-terrain vehicles
This also includes a vehicle bought for parts.
Registering A Vehicle On Behalf Of Someone Else
If you cant go to a registry office, another person can apply for a vehicle registration, renewal, cancellation or transfer on your behalf. The person requesting the service on your behalf must bring:
- your proof of ownership document, proof of valid insurance, and their ID
- a completed form, signed by you
Indiana Vehicle Registration Fees
Indiana registration fees for cars & other passenger vehicles are standardized, while those for trucks are determined based on their weight.
Visit the state’s Vehicle Registration Fees chart for a comprehensive list of fees that may apply to your vehicle.
Other vehicle registration fees:
- License plate transfer fee: $9.50.
- Late vehicle registration fee: $15.
- Duplicate registration certificate: $9.50.
- Duplicate license plate or sticker: $9.50.
- Change vehicle registration information: $9.50.
- Change license plate type: $9.50.
Read Also: How To Get Sap Off Car
Fees For Registering A Vehicle
The registration fee for passenger vehicles is based on the weight and model year of the vehicle. Registration fees range from $27.00 to $62.00 for a one year registration or $54.00 to $124.00 for a two year registration.
Registration fees for trucks with a declared gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds or less are also based on the weight and model year of the vehicle. Registration fees range from $38.00 to $207.00 for a one year registration or $76.00 to $414.00 for a two year registration.
How To Register A Car Online
For those wishing to skip the long lines at the DMV, a commonly asked question by car owners is whether you can register a car online.
Vehicle registration is what connects the owner of the car to the vehicle and is required by the laws of each state to prove ownership, according to Credit Karma. Registration requirements may vary from year-to-year, with some states requiring renewal every year, others require only initial registration, and sometimes they require an owner to renew their registration every two to three years. For those wishing to skip the long lines at the DMV, a commonly asked question by car owners is whether you can register a car online.
Vehicle Has A Registration Certificate
The seller can register the vehicle to you online or by post.
The seller must follow a different process if youre buying a vehicle to take abroad including the Channel Islands , Isle of Man or Ireland. They must give you the full log book and not send it to DVLA.
- fill in the green new keeper slip and give it to you
- destroy the V5C
DVLA will update the vehicle record immediately and they will aim to send out a new V5C to you within 3 to 5 days.
Register by post
If you cannot register the vehicle online, you can register it by post. The seller will need to:
- complete section 2 if they have a new style log book or section 6 if they have the older style log book
- sign the declaration in section 8 if they have the older style log book
- fill in the new keeper slip and give it to you
- send the V5C to DVLA
DVLA aims to send out a new V5C to you as soon as possible, usually 4 weeks after getting the old V5C from the seller. This may take longer because of coronavirus.
If you do not get it within 4 weeks:
- complete form V62 – Application for a vehicle registration certificate
- send it to DVLA with the new keeper slip given to you by the seller – if you do not send in the new keeper slip, youll have to pay a fee
or get it from any Post Office branch.
Contact DVLA if you do not receive anything 6 weeks after sending in form V62.
Car Insurance Requirements For Registering A Car In Indiana
In order to register a car in Illinois, you must get insurance. This insurance must offer:
- $25,000 worth of coverage for damage that occurs during the crash.
- $25,000 worth of coverage for death or injury for each individual who is hurt or killed during the accident
- $50,000 worth of coverage for death or injury that occurs during an accident
You are only required to have liability insurance. Insurance companies offer a variety of other plans that you can use to minimize your liability in the event of a crash, but these plans are not required. Once you have had your insurance policy for 60 days, the insurance company cannot cancel it without cause. If your company chooses to not renew your policy, they must inform you no less than 20 days before the policy is set to expire.
You May Like: How Much Does A Car Salesman Make Per Car
Registering A Used Car
Registering a used car entails demonstrating to the DMV that the motorist legally owns the vehicle in question, and that this car meets state safety and emissions standards set by the state. This procedure may also involve proving an applicants identity, residency status, insurance status and authority to register the vehicle. Overall, drivers can expect to need the following during a DMV registration procedure:
- A properly filled out car registration
- A valid photo identification.
- Homebuilt or salvage inspection certifications, if applicable.
- Power of attorney documents in the case of leased vehicles.
- Acceptable forms of payment.
Registering A Vehicle Purchased Within Canada
If you bought the vehicle outside of Alberta, but within Canada, youll need to complete one of the following:
- out-of-province inspection
- commercial inspection
Which inspection you complete depends on the type and status of your vehicle.
Before you go to an inspection station, you must get an Inspection Request from a registry agent.
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Car Door Scuff Marks
The Lien Can Be Released By Having The Lien Holder Do Any One Of The Following:
- Sign the Release of Lien section of the current outstanding Certificate of Title .
- Complete and sign a Release of Lien. Release of Lien MVD Form 10041 |
- Provide you with a notarized release of lien on company letterhead, signed by the lien holder.
Power of Attorney Only required if someone other than the person whose name will go on the title and registration is registering the vehicle for that person.
Vehicle Registration For Military Members
Certain states offer different car registration requirements for military service members. For example, military personnel may be exempt from certain fees, qualify for extended deadlines and have access to additional benefits. On the other hand, assessing the types of applicants who qualify for these privileges differs from state to state. Overall, motorists who serve in the military and veterans can benefit from contacting their state DMV authorities in advance for details.
Recommended Reading: How Much Commission Does A Car Salesman
How To Register A New Car In Indiana
When you buy a vehicle from an Indiana auto dealer, the registration process will be handled by the dealership. The dealership will already have most of the vehicle registration details they need in order to go through the process. You will need to give an agent at the dealership payment for the vehicle registration fees, but the dealer will handle the actual payment process.
If you have bought a new vehicle from an out-of-state dealer, you will need to consult the section below in order to determine how to register your vehicle.
Register And Title A Passenger Or Commercial Car Truck Motorcycle Or Suv
You or your business must register and title any vehicle you own or lease. Registrations do not need to be in the owner’s name, or for only one person. When you purchase a new vehicle through an auto dealership, the auto dealer can register and title the vehicle, and issue plates .
See more information about
Don’t Miss: How To Make Car Freshies
Vehicles Purchased From A Private Party
If you are buying from a private individual, you will need to do the paperwork and register the vehicle yourself. You may do so:
- Online, if your vehicle was purchased within the last 45 days AND your title application has already been submitted.OR
You may also title your vehicle.
Register Vehicle Online
To register your vehicle online, you must have an Indiana title on the vehicle and register within 45 days of purchase.
Once your title application has been submitted, go to the MyBMV online registration portal and either log into your existing MyBMV account or create a new account. Be prepared to provide:
- Your IN driver’s license number.
- Your vehicle title information.
- Payment for your registration fees .
If you have not registered within 60 days, you must visit your IN BMV branch office in person to get your car, truck, or other vehicle registered.
Register Car in Person
If your vehicle was purchased over 60 days ago, or you have yet to title your vehicle in Indiana, go to an IN BMV office and submit:
- Your IN driver’s license.
- The original vehicle title.
- If you have not yet titled your vehicle in your name, you will also be required to submit additional titling paperwork and documentation. Check out our page on Indiana Title Transfers for more information.
Title by Mail
Go to our page on Title Transfers in Indiana for more information.
Vehicle Inspection Requirements In Indiana
You need to get a vehicle registration inspection in order to bring an out-of-state vehicle into Indiana. This includes vehicles that are manufactured out of state. The inspection needs to be performed by an officer of the law, licensed dealer or BMV employee.
In order to get a new car registration in Indiana counties of Lake and Porter, you need to get a smog inspection. Smog inspection offices are open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Read Also: How To Set Up Siriusxm In My Car
How Do I Renew Online
- You have:
- a Class 3 passenger vehicle – car, light truck, van or motorhome
- a Class 3 motorcycle
- a Class 3 off-highway vehicle
- a Class 1 or Class 3 commercial trailer
- a Class 2 farm vehicle – truck, utility, sport utility or cargo van
- a Class 1 commercial car rental
- Your vehicle is not registered as a fleet or company vehicle
- Your address has not changed
- Your registration has not been expired for more than 12 months
- Your vehicle has valid insurance
- You want to renew your vehicle registration for one year
- You have no outstanding fines, maintenance enforcement restrictions or motor vehicle debts
- Your MyAlberta Digital ID account information.You will be required to sign into your MyAlberta Digital ID account in order to complete the service.
- Your current vehicle registration certificate, which contains your licence plate number and your registration number.
- Your valid driver’s licence, which contains your driver’s licence number and your MVID.
- Your valid insurance pink card as proof of insurance coverage. Your insurance must provide public liability and propertydamage coverage under an owner’s automobile insurance policy as provided for in the Alberta Insurance Act.
- Your credit or debit card ready to make a payment. MyAlberta eServices accepts Visa Credit and Debit, MasterCard, American Express, or Interac Online.
- How can we help?
I Have Not Received My Registration Renewal Notice What Should I Do
You can renew your vehicle without the renewal notice if you provide the following to your county tax office:
- Registration receipt from the previous year, or
- Texas license plate number, or
- Vehicle Identification Number
- Government issued photo ID
Ask your local county tax office to verify your correct mailing address. If you would like to be reminded by email when to renew in the future, sign up for our free eReminder service now.
Read Also: How To Register My Car In Colorado
Calculating The Purchase & Use Tax
Purchase and Use Tax is due at the time of registration and/or title at a percentage of the purchase price or the National Automobile Dealers Association clean trade-in value, whichever is greater, minus value of trade-in vehicle or any other allowable credit.
If registering by mail include a printed NADA valuation with your paperwork.
Texas State Parks Won’t Be The Same Without You
Help keep Texas State Parks open and maintained so that we can enjoy these special places for generations to come. Donate $5 or more when you renew your vehicle registration. You can donate on the front of your registration renewal form or at your county tax assessor-collectors office. Learn more at www.texasstateparks.org/help.
You May Like: How To Get Rid Of Spiders In Car
Duplicate And Replacement Registration
A duplicate registration is needed when you require a new license plate, sticker, or registration document due to being lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed.
If the license plate was mailed by the BMV and you never received it, please call the Contact Center at or visit your local BMV branch.
- Duplicate License Plate:
- You must visit a branch to obtain a duplicate plate. You will receive the same plate number and same plate type if a replacement/duplicate plate is needed.
- Duplicate Motor Vehicle Registration Document: used when you require a duplicate registration document due to damage or loss.
- You may print a duplicate registration through at no cost. State Form 37135 – Application for Replacement or Duplicate License Plate is not required to be submitted for a duplicate motor vehicle registration.
Change Of Vehicle Details/vehicle Modifications
If you have changed your vehicle’s details or you’ve had a modification made to your vehicle you must complete a change of vehicle particulars notification and lodge it at a transport and motoring customer service centre. If you live in a rural area you can visit a QGAP office, or local police station that provides registration servicesplease call to confirm before visiting. You must bring your modified vehicle with you to be inspected and also bring evidence of your identity.
The details you are changing or the modifications you make may affect the cost of your registration fee and/or CTP insuranceif they do, you will need to pay the difference before the changes will come into effect.
Also Check: Cost To Register A Car In Texas
Registering A New Or Used Motor Vehicle
When you buy a new or used vehicle, from a motor dealer, generally they will arrange registration and compulsory third party insurance for you. You need to provide evidence of identity such as your current driver licence. If you are eligible for a registration concession make sure you let the dealer know and provide proof to enable the dealer to include the concession. You can’t have a concession on 2 vehicles at the same time for some concession types.
If a motor dealer has not arranged registration of your vehicle, or if you buy a vehicle privately, the new registration must be done at a transport and motoring customer service centre. If you live in a rural area you can visit a QGAP office, Magistrates Court or local police station that provides vehicle registration servicesplease call to confirm before visiting. If you have not already done so, check that the vehicle is unencumbered by accessing the Personal Property Securities Register .
You can’t apply for a new registration via Transport and Main Roads online services.
To register a vehicle in Queensland, refer to the registration checklist and take these items with you when registering your vehicle.
Whether You’ve Just Moved Here Or You’re A Native You Need A Valid Driver’s License To Drive A Car In Arkansas
Arkansas is compliant with the Real ID Act of 2005. See what you need to get yours before the May 3, 2023 deadline!
NEED A NEW DRIVER’S LICENSE
REQUEST A DUPLICATE DL OR STATE ID
Lose your driver’s license or ID card? No problem. Apply for a duplicate in minutes and get your card delivered to you within three days.
PRE-REGISTER FOR A DL OR STATE ID
You’ll have to visit the DMV to get a license, but you can save time by starting the application process here. You’ll get a case number to bring to the DMV, where you’ll take your photo and pay.
GET DL RENEWAL NOTICES BY EMAIL OR SMS
Sign up to receive your driver’s license renewal notices through email or text message.
GET A CLEARANCE/RECORD OF LICENSE STATUS LETTER
Get a record showing your status of your driving privilege.
REQUEST A REINSTATEMENT REQUIREMENT LETTER
If your driver’s license or ID has been suspended, find out what requirements are needed to get back in good standing.
PAY REINSTATEMENT FEE
If you’ve had your driver’s license suspended, you can pay your reinstatement fee online to get on the road to driving again.
CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS
Moved? Change your address online without having to stand in line and get a new driver’s license or ID.
EMERGENCY CONTACT INFO
Need to add or update your emergency contact information? You no longer have to go to the Revenue Office to do that!
REQUEST FOR A VOTER REGISTRATION APPLICATION
Don’t Miss: How Much Does A Car Salesman Make Per Car